Puritan Dairy, Inc. is first listed in the 1923 Perth Amboy directory at 315-317 High Street but apparently started in business the year prior. This is based on their trademark application which states: “The trademark has been continuously used and applied to said goods in applicants business since December 20, 1922.
The business remained at the High Street address through the early 1930’s and by 1935 has moved to Fayette Street, corner of Wilson. Their advertisement in the 1940 Directory actually contains a photograph of their building and their advertisement in 1942 gives a listing of their products.
The company remained in business at this location through at least the early 1960’s and probably longer. Until the late 1950’s Phillip Borac served as president and Hyman Weeden served as treasurer and sometimes secretary. In the 1930’s and early 1940’s, a second company called Puritan Dairy Products Co is also listed in the directories. In some years both companies are listed in the same directory and other years only one. In any case, the president of Puritan Dairy Products Company was always either Borac or Weeden and the address was given as Fayette, SE corner Kirkland Place which happens to be right across the street from the Dairy. So it’s probably safe to assume that from a practical standpoint the two businesses were one and the same.
It wasn’t until the late 1950’s that the company leadership transitioned to others. In 1959, Hyman Greenhouse, Louis Garb and Harold Stoller are listed as president, vice-president and secretary-treasurer respectively.
Puritan maintained creameries and bottling stations in several of the surrounding local Communities as well. According to a May 2, 1928 notice in the Red Bank Register, they owned facilities in Keyport, Monmouth and Shrewsbury New Jersey.
Today, the original dairy building shown in the advertisement above is now incorporated into the plant of the Tropical Cheese Company. Their web site mentions that the owner of Tropical Cheese originally bought a milk company in Perth Amboy.
The bottle I found is a machine made quart made by the Illinois Glass Company. The date code indicates 1934 so it was made right around the time they moved from High Street to Fayette Street.